Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Should the U.S. lower the drinking age to 18?

I chose this topic because under-age drinking has been an ongoing problem in our country, and I believe that the U.S. should change the age limit because other countries allow 18 year olds and even younger ages to drink legally. I also come from a culture where drinking is a sport, and the Philippines do not have limits on alcohol consumption. I want to answer the question "Should the U.S. lower the drinking age to 18?" I chose this question because I believe that since you become a legal adult at 18 then the same should go for drinking alcohol. Many freshmen students and sophomores drink illegally which leads to trouble regarding school authority and the safety of the students. If the legal drinking age were lowered and monitored more carefully I think that many of the alcohol poisoning and drunk driving situations in underage drinkers can be lowered. I need to learn about the statistics of the alcohol consumption in individuals under 21 in other countries such as Germany or other countries and Europe as well as the U.S., and I would also have to learn about the attitudes and views on alcohol in both the U.S. and other foreign countries. The experts I would need to read from would probably be doctors, university administrators, and campus police officers who have dealt with kids and under-age drinking. They work at the hospitals, universities, and even local neighborhoods. These experts research the effects of alcohol on these under-age drinkers' health as well as the effects on their behaviors when under the influence of alcohol. The academic field would probably the medical field first, and then a psychological field.

No comments:

Post a Comment